Sunday, November 6, 2011

Hebrews 10:8-14

After saying above, “SACRIFICES AND OFFERINGS AND WHOLE BURNT OFFERINGS AND sacrifices FOR SIN YOU HAVE NOT DESIRED, NOR HAVE YOU TAKEN PLEASURE in them” (which are offered according to the Law), then He said, “BEHOLD, I HAVE COME TO DO YOUR WILL.” He takes away the first in order to establish the second. By this will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. Every priest stands daily ministering and offering time after time the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins; but He, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, SAT DOWN AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD, waiting from that time onward UNTIL HIS ENEMIES BE MADE A FOOTSTOOL FOR HIS FEET. For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified.


He takes away the first in order to establish the second - "Just as Paul explains to the Body of Christ that "by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified (Gal 2:16), the book of Hebrews explains to Israel the better sacrifice which was their Lamb slain from the foundation of this world. Many confused commentators, pastors and teachers say of verse ten in our text, that God "taketh away the first, that he may establish the second," means that God took away the law and established our church, the Body of Christ. In fact, the context identifies the truth that what God was doing involved His taking away Israel's Old Testament, replacing it with Israel's New Testament. We, as the new creature (2 Cor 5:17), the Body of Christ, have no part in either covenant (Eph 2:12) and we are not Israel (Gal 3:28; Col 3:11). Clarity replaces confusion when we note that Israel's relationship to the law persists in its New Testament: Jeremiah 31:33: But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the LORD, “I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. Ezekiel 36:27: I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances. Hebrews 8:10: FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS, AND I WILL WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS. AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE." (McLean)

By this will - "I.e., by Christ's doing the will of God in becoming the sacrifice for sin." (Ryrie)

sanctified - "set apart, in our position before God" (Ryrie)

vs 12-13 - "Though exalted and honored now at the right hand of God, ruling over His enemies awaits His second coming." (Ryrie)

perfected - "in the sense of making acceptable to God those who are sanctified (v 10)" (Ryrie)

No comments:

Post a Comment