Monday, January 12, 2015

Matthew 26:30-35

And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. Then Jesus said to them, “You will all fall away because of me this night. For it is written, ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’ But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee.” Peter answered him, “Though they all fall away because of you, I will never fall away.” Jesus said to him, “Truly, I tell you, this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.” Peter said to him, “Even if I must die with you, I will not deny you!” And all the disciples said the same.


hymn - probably part of the Passover celebration, the Hallel — Psalms 113-118.

will all fall away - from the Greek word from which we get "scandal"

The quote in verse 31 is from Zechariah 13:7 in the Septuagint

"All the disciples would desert Him before the night was over (v 56), not Peter only.  (See Zech 13:7)." (Ryrie)

go before you = lead you forth, go at your head as a shepherd leads his sheep

"He was preparing them by giving them to know before they should be offended, that He knew they would be offended. Christ was always making it easy for these men to get back presently; and when He told them the worst that was in them, and they did not believe Him; though they all personally declared they would not be offended, He did not argue; but He left something in the heart, and mind, and memory, which, returning presently, would make it easier for them. It is a great thing to be able to say within one’s own soul, Well, my friend knew and warned me, I will go back to Him. Christ was telling them the worst, But not only the worst. Mark the next words well, words flashing with light, 'but after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee.'" (Morgan)

No comments:

Post a Comment