Monday, June 30, 2014

Matthew 18:18-20

"Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them."


whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven - These instructions, given to Peter in Matthew 16:19, are given to all the apostles. See my notes here regarding this verse.)  In the immediate context, it is applied to the matter of dealing with a sinning member of the assembly.

in my name - claiming and using Christ’s authority

The Lord was not talking about the church in these verses. He was talking about the kingdom (vs 1, 3-4). And He was not speaking to all believers, but to the 12 disciples (v 1). However, the principles of forgiveness and dealing with sinning brothers can be applied today.  (See my posts regarding these verses here and here and here.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment