Saturday, October 12, 2013

Matthew 3:1-17

What is the theme of this chapter?

Jesus' Baptism.

What is the key verse(s) of this chapter? Verses 14-15

John would have prevented him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he consented.

What can I apply to my life from this chapter (things to do/avoid)?

I can avoid being a hypocrite like the Pharisees and Sadducees.  Since I am a new creation in Christ and have a new nature, I need to keep walking in the Spirit.  I need to be who I am now, not who I was when I was without Christ (Col 3:1-17).
  
Additional observations/questions:

I thought what Gaebelein said about the Pharisees was quite telling:

"The Pharisees (the name Pharisee means a Separatist; one who says: 'I am holier than thou.') were the strictly religious, orthodox-ritualistic class.  They were well versed in the traditions of the elders, and occupied themselves with creating new commandments and strange interpretations of the law." 

It's sad to see this in much of evangelical Christianity today, especially in our so-called spiritual leaders.  They are "well versed in the traditions of the elders," often quoting them as proof text instead of Scripture, and occupied "with creating ... strange interpretations" of Scripture, trying to make it say what they want it to say.  Why is progressive revelation so difficult for them to see?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment