Thursday, May 2, 2013

Acts 27:1-44

What is the theme of this chapter?

Paul's voyage and shipwreck.

What is the key verse(s) of this chapter? Verses 22-25

Yet now I urge you to take heart, for there will be no loss of life among you, but only of the ship. For this very night there stood before me an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I worship, and he said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul; you must stand before Caesar. And behold, God has granted you all those who sail with you.’ So take heart, men, for I have faith in God that it will be exactly as I have been told.

What can I apply to my life from this chapter (things to do/avoid)?

Paul's faith is inspirational to me.  It's like God, through Paul (who is the minister to the Church), is encouraging me to have this same level of faith — "...take heart, men, for I have faith in God that it will be exactly as I have been told" (Acts 27:22-25). 

I appreciated Stam's thoughts regarding this same verses:  "... all those who sail with Paul, and only those, are saved and safe.  Ill-taught preachers may mix law and grace, prophecy and the mystery, the kingdom and the Body, but their hearers are saved only as they hear and receive the Pauline revelation regarding the finished work of Christ and salvation by grace through faith alone.  Indeed the hearers, by erroneous association, may read these truths into passages which do not actually teach them, but the fact remains that they are saved through these truths of the glorious revelation committed to Paul."

Additional observations/questions:

No comments:

Post a Comment