Sunday, March 3, 2013

Acts 24:1-27

What is the theme of this chapter?

Paul's defense before Felix.

What is the key verse(s) of this chapter? Verses 14-15

But this I confess to you, that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our fathers, believing everything laid down by the Law and written in the Prophets, having a hope in God, which these men themselves accept, that there will be a resurrection of both the just and the unjust.

What can I apply to my life from this chapter (things to do/avoid)?

Paul, addressing the one person who, humanly speaking, had the power to liberate him, spoke to Felix about righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come.  Paul could have used a different approach, perhaps winning Felix as a friend of his cause and gaining his freedom.  But Paul's aim was "to maintain always a blameless conscience both before God and before men."  And he knew that Felix and Drusilla needed regeneration.  So he showed them their guilt, their peril, and their need.  Yet, Paul did all this in a way so tactful that Felix could have no reason to be offended.  This is what I can apply to my life.  I need to keep my focus on Him and remember what is most important in this life, that I have been given the message of reconciliation, and that I need to present it tactfully.

All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God (2 Cor 5:18-20).  

Additional observations/questions:

It seems to me that verse 18a rather endorses once again (see also Acts 23:11) what Paul did in Jerusalem, and perhaps even that he was there in the first place. 

While I was doing this, they found me purified in the temple, without any crowd or tumult.

Paul showed no remorse nor retracted anything, like he did in verses 20-21:

Or else let these men themselves say what wrongdoing they found when I stood before the council, other than this one thing that I cried out while standing among them: ‘It is with respect to the resurrection of the dead that I am on trial before you this day.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment