Monday, June 27, 2011

Hebrews 2:1-18

What is the theme of this chapter?

Christ Jesus was made lower than the angels in order to free His children from the power of death.

What is the key verse(s) of this chapter?  Verses 14-15

Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same, that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives.


What can I apply to my life from this chapter (things to do/avoid)?

Christ suffered temptation in all ways that I do and withstood it.  I as a believer have the same resource in the Holy Spirit who indwells me to withstand any temptation that comes my way.

It is also comforting to know that the Lord is always there, the compassionate High Priest, even when I don't think I have the resources to keep going.  In fact, He understands all about it, not only in His omniscience, but also experientially because He has experienced it all, too.


Additional observations/questions:

Verses 3 and 4 are the hardest verses for me to understand; is the audience unsaved Hebrews or slothful, believing Hebrews?  For now I'm leaning toward unsaved Hebrews, but maybe I'll change my mind as I study more of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment